Hall of Fame
Search Hall of Fame

Showing 1 - 25 of 190 Page:   <<| 1 2 3 |>>  

Play Audio
Achille, Godfrey Basketball 2000

While attending Belmont Boys' Intermediate R.C. School in 1954 Godfrey Achille played basketball for the school, in the Intermediate division of the Trinidad Amateur Basketball Association (TABA). In 1955, while still competing in the intermediate division, he was voted TABA's Player of the Year. Those performances gained him selection on the National Team against the USA's Combined Naval Team.


He received a sports scholarship to attend Progressive Educational Institute from the basketball team, which had won the second division in 1955 and was promoted to first division, skipping the intermediate division. Godfrey had his teammates, Merrick Anatol, (a sports scholarship winner the previous year) Clyde Coward, Michael Matthews and Mervyn Grant. Progressive went on to win the Knock Out Competition in 1956 with Achille as play maker and Anatol as shooter. Once more Achille made the National Team against the USA Naval Team.


In 1957 Progressive was double crown champions, winning both league and knock out competitions. The TABA hosted to Suriname and both Achille and Anatol played in the five game series, with the locals emerging winners 3-2. Later that year, the Trinidad team visited Martinique and was successful there too, with Achille demonstrating his dribbling skills, once while holding an umbrella during a drizzle.


Up to 1960, when he left Progressive to join Woodbrook Limers, the former were undisputed first division champions. By this time he was interested in coaching youngsters in the less fortunate areas. In 1963 he joined the Regiment and in addition to basketball for which he was appointed captain and coach, he played as stopper for the football team in the Northern Amateur Football League from 1964-69. He migrated to the USA in 1970.

Play Audio
Achong, Ellis "Puss" Football 1984

Although many sports fans remember Ellis Edgar "Puss" Achong best for his cricketing performances, it is the opinion of some experts that he reached greater heights at football. As a teenager he made a name for himself on the soccer field, representing Trinidad from 1919 - 1932 inclusive, in the latter stages along with his brother, Harold. A member of the fabulous Maple forward-line of the 1920's and 1930's, he cast a fine image for himself as a left-winger and was noted for his clever dribbling and crossing.


With Babsie Daniel on the right-wing, Achong made a great impression on the other flank for both Maple and Trinidad and it was inevitable that Maple would produce the entire Trinidad attack before long for inter-colonial competition. Joining Daniel and Achong in the national forward-line were the other three Maple stars, Clifford Roach, also noted for his brilliant cricket displays, Sydney deCoteau and Harold Achong. But cricket also held the interest of Achong during his colourful soccer days and he proved to be good enough to represent the West Indies.


He made his Test debut in the second Test against England in 1929-30, toured England in 1933 and played again for West Indies when England visited the Caribbean in 1934-35. During the 1950's and 1960's, Achong was appointed a Government cricket coach, and has helped many youths to develop their cricketing talents through the schools' coaching programme. It was once humorously said that Achong invented the "Chinaman," the slow left-arm ball coming out the back of the hand. And no one finds the joke more delightful than Achong himself, a cheerful man of Chinese extract, the first and only such person to play Test cricket.

Play Audio
Agostini, Michael Athletics 1985

Born into a sporting family he showed remarkable speed for one so short of stature. He also played football to inter-collegiate level, when he found his niche as a sprinter. He created a record for the juniors 100 yards flat at age 15 - 10.3 seconds. 1951 can be considered the year when his career was launched. He won both sprints in the juniors division of the championships with times of 10.4 and 23.4 seconds for the 100 yards and 220 yards respectively. Later in those same games he entered "B" class and dead heated for the 100 yards in 10.2 seconds. He was now ready for open events. The following year he competed at Southern Games, which featured international participants and caused a sensation in defeating Andy Stanfield at his pet distance, 200 metres.


He was invited to the pre-Christmas meet in Kingston, Jamaica, where he ran the 100 metres in 10.6,ahead of Olympic gold medallist Herb McKenley. That brought him offers of athletic scholarships from host of American Universities.


In 1953 he set a world junior 100 yards record of 9.4 seconds, improved his 100 metres best to 10.4 and 220 yards best to 21.1. He attended Seton Hall University, New Jersey, in 1954 and from there, represented Trinidad and Tobago at the British Empire Games, Vancouver. There, he won his nation's first ever gold medal at these games, completing the 100 yards in 9.6 seconds. Next he entered Villanova University in 1955, when he recorded 6.1 for the indoor 60 yards. Chosen by his country for the Pan Am games in Mexico City, he gained a silver medal in the 100 metres (10.3) and bronze in the 200 metres (21.4). His sights were now set for the Olympics and he transferred to Fresno State University, California. He opened the Olympic year with a world record 20.1 seconds clocking for the straight 220 yards. Then at the NCAA (collegiate) championships he placed third in the 100 metres (10.6). Over in Melbourne, Australia, he was sixth in the 100 metres (10.9) and fourth in the 200 metres (21.1). He also became the first Trinidad & Tobago entrant to reach an athletic final at that level. After the games ended he spent the winter in Australia racing unbeaten in both sprints. He graduated from Fresno State in 1958 and he moved to Western Canada and represented that country at the British Empire Games in Cardiff, Wales, There he was third, after Jamaican Keith Gardner and Bahamian Tom Robinson in the 100 yards. He was also a member of the Canadian team, which placed fourth in the 4 X 100 yards relay.


During that European summer he competed in seven countries, recording lifetime bests of 10.2 over 100 metres, 21.0 for 220 yards and 47.4 for 400 metres. He returned to Australia for the winter again running unbeaten and made himself available to Trinidad and Tobago for the 1959 Pan Am games in Chicago. He won the 100 metres (10.3) at the Eastern Games and at the AAA championships (10.7) then BWI championships in Georgetown (10.4) to ensure a place on the Pan Am games contingent. In a repeat of his performances four years earlier, he placed second in the 100 metres (10.4) and third in the 200 metres (21.1) both won by Ray Norton with times of 10.3 and 20.6. He decided to take up residence in Australia afterwards, did not compete in the 1960 Olympics and now represents Trinidad and Tobago at diplomatic level in the island continent, from his adopted hometown, Sydney.

Play Audio
Aleong, Kelvin "Pa" C.M.T. (posthumous) Coaching 2004

Kelvin “Pa” Aleong was a huge inspiration to generations of Trinidad and Tobago footballers during the 1940’s to 1970’s. For more than 30 years, he coached, mentored and inspired hundreds of young footballers. His was a labour of love as he gave selflessly on a daily basis to any player who crossed his path. The father of two national players, Eddie and Andy, “Pa” Aleong was the anchor behind several top players in the Port of Spain Football League.


Players like Sedley Joseph, Lincoln Phillips and Tyrone de la Bastide attended sessions with “Pa” in the Queen’s Park Savannah on mornings to hone their skills, before returning home to prepare for their day jobs. Later in the afternoon they would return either to train or play for their teams.Protégés, like Joseph, Phillips and de la Bastide, went on to play for Trinidad and Tobago.


The same applied to cricketers such as Willie Rodriguez, Michael “Joey” Carew, Bryan and Charlie Davis and Richard De Souza. Carew went on to win 19 test caps for the West Indies, along with Charlie Davis (15), Rodriguez (5) and Bryan Davis (4). Aleong was himself a top footballer and cricketer with both Chinese and Maple and spent 25 years as the cricket coach of St Mary’s College. He probably the most successful self-taught coach the country has ever known. Pa Aleong was excellent in analysing games, and the shortcomings of players and teams and would readily come up with ways of conquering opponents. For his work in the field of cricket he was awarded the Chaconia Medal (Gold) in 1972.

Play Audio
Alexander, Frederick Boxing 1984

As his fighting name implies, Fearless Freddie knew no fear in the ring, and if courage and fighting qualities count most in boxing, then Freddie was probably the greatest boxer ever to emerge from Trinidad and Tobago. Between 1923 and 1931 when he was in his prime, Freddie fought men of much heavier classes than himself.


A superb lightweight, he would go after welterweights and even middleweights, and beat them as though they were in his same division.


Freddie fought in the days when classification meant little to the fighters and the boxing authorities. He was nicknamed "The St. James Tiger" by his many fans and he never let them down, once he slipped on a pair of gloves. He won the lightweight title of Trinidad in 1925 and soon had run out of challengers. So he had to resort to meeting men heavier than himself. When he disposed of these opponents, Freddie sought new goals and left Trinidad for Venezuela where he took on, and beat the cream of the crop down the main. His greatness was such that a promoter in Venezuela decided to stage a card on which Freddie would fight three opponents in one night. He loved nothing better and proceeded to knock out the first two and beat the other on points.


Then one night in 1928 he came up against the strong, hard-hitting Barbadian, Busy Billy at the site where Grell's Grocery was once situated on St. Vincent Street, Port of Spain. In a bloody and brutal contest, Freddie punished Billy round after round until the referee stepped in to stop the onslaught. Although the fans protested and called for the fight to continue, the referee halted the contest to save the Barbadian from more punishment. By this time Freddie was the holder of the light, welter and middleweight titles of Trinidad, but by 1931 he was on his way out having being relieved of the welter and middle crowns. Then against the classy Al Taffy, Freddie went down and so did his final title, but indeed, never his great records.

Allen-Dommartin, Sybil Athletics 2008

Known as The Flying Housewife, Sybil Allen-Dommartin managed to enjoy a 12-year track and field career, even after getting married.

During this period she established West Indian records in the 60 metres, 100 metres and 200 metres while her local team, Brooklyn Sports Club, established West Indian records in the women's 4x100 metres relay on two occasions.

At the 1961 Trinidad Games at Pointe-a-Pierre's Guaracara Park, Dommartin equalled the 100 metres national record of 12.3 seconds in defeating American Lucinda Williams-Adams and Brooklyn team-mate, Joyce Dunmore. She achieved a "record double" by also establishing a new West Indian and national 200 metres mark of 25.1 seconds at the same meet.

Dommartin duly broke the 100 metres record at the same venue, the following year, when she triumphed at the Texaco Southern Games in a time of 12.1 seconds - the new West Indian record - and again "doubled" by equalling her West Indian and national record time of 25.1 seconds in the women's 200 metres sprint at the same meet. Later on that season, on May 6, 1962, Dommartin lowered the 100 metres record to 12.0 seconds flat in achieving victory at the Shell Sports championships at the Mahaica Oval in Point Fortin.

Dommartin also demonstrated her class in international competition. At the 1960 West Indies Championships in Kingston, Jamaica, she won the 100 metres event in 12.4 seconds ahead of hometown favourite Ouida Walker (12.5) and British Guiana's Myra Fawcett (12.6). She returned to Kingston in 1962 for the Central American and Caribbean Games, in which she earned a bronze medal in the 100 metres: she clocked 12.20 seconds in finishing behind Cuba's Miguelina Cobian (12.08) and Marcela Daniel of Panama (12.12). For that impressive display, Dommartin was ranked second behind Edwin Roberts in the listing of Trinidad and Tobago's top ten athletes for 1962.

Sybil Allen-Dommartin, who also played netball for the Brooklyn Club, eventually moved to Canada in 1967 after hanging up her track spikes for the very last time.

Amarsingh, Mansingh Table Tennis 2008

He was on the ground, his muscles were cramping - the result of a tough semi-final against a Cuban rival - but Mansingh Amarsingh knew it was simply another challenge he had to overcome. He still had a task to complete and duly got the job done.


His victory over Guyana's George Braithwaite gave Amarsingh the men's Caribbean table tennis singles title on home soil. That night in 1978 was the shining moment of a career in which the southerner proved himself to the premier table tennis player on the local scene and a confident and determined competitor in the international arena.


Amarsingh's ability to constantly re-define his game and add new skills to his repertoire allowed him to defeat top-ranked opponents from Cuba (he was unbeaten during series between Trinidad and Tobago and Cuba in 1973 and 1975), the Dominican Republic and Cuba. He was very proficient when it came to team play and helped Trinidad and Tobago to the gold medal at the 1966 CAC Championships in Willemstad, Curacao (where he also achieved gold in the doubles along with Egbert McBaptiste), along with silver medals at the 1982 and 1986 CAC tournaments. His outstanding performances in 1986 came after a fouryear absence from international competition.


Apart from the 1978 Caribbean title, Amarsingh's other major singles successes came in 1964, at his very first Caribbean Championship in Georgetown, Guyana (he reached both the senior and junior singles final), 1966 (he attained a bronze medal after reaching the semi-finals) and 1976 (when he was beaten in the final by compatriot Lionel Darceuil).


At home, Amarsingh was a leading member of the Texaco that won the national men's title from 1964 to 1969 and later joined Darceuil and Derek De Silva to form the BWIA Giants in 1973. Giants would go on to win the national title every year for the next ten years.


Even at the age of 42, Amarsingh was still good enough to qualify for the Trinidad and Tobago national team one final time in 1989. He went on to win two out of three games at the World Championships in Dortmund, West Germany during his final match for Trinidad and Tobago.

Anatol, Merrick "Jim" Basketball 1985

It is difficult to imagine a local basketball player with a more colourful career than Merrick Jim Anatol, who rose from a clowning youth at Belmont Intermediate School, to an Olympic star with the British team in Tokyo in 1964.


Between those years Anatol built a spectacular reputation for himself on court and is regarded today by basketball experts as the greatest player ever produced in Trinidad and Tobago. Whether or not this has authentic foundation, the fact remains that Anatol was a super player by all accounts. He knew what it was like to scrub the bench because when only 12 years' old and bubbling with enthusiasm, his clowning kept him out of the ëplaying five.


When he made up his mind to play straight basketball he shot into the record books time and again. Coming into his own in 1954, he paced Belmont Intermediate to a win in the Intermediate League and knockout championships and was voted "Player of the Year". Awarded a sports scholarship to Progressive Education Institute in 1955, Anatol joined a host of ball artists like Carton Franco, Mikey Yorke, Godfrey Achille, Kelvin Berassa and Ken Henry who proceeded to sweep teams aside. That season Anatol scored a record 82 points in a game against the United States Navy and a total of 166 points in five matches.


In 1956 he was selected on an All-Star team called "Magicians" (comprising greats like Carl Blackman, Leroy Corbie, Taffy Crichlow, Finbar Basso, Hilton Piggot, Carlton 'Doc' Clarke, Achille and Yorke); and the team toured Barbados and Guyana with great success. He made several tours representing Trinidad and Tobago in the late 1950's and early 1960's and left for England where he formed topside, which included some Trinidad and Tobago stars. He was selected for the British team for the Tokyo Olympics in 1964, a team that defeated Holland and Belgium in the pre-Olympic playoffs in Switzerland.

Asche, John Walking 1985

John Asche was called a walking machine in his prime with small wonder.


Almost every time he stepped into a race, he would establish some kind of record. During his career, which began in 1939, he won over 100 races and may have represented Trinidad and Tobago on many occasions had it not been for a contention during his career when officials of the sport branded him a professional. Between 1950 and 1960 John won the great San Fernando to Port of Spain event on three occasions, establishing a record in 1953 of 6 hours, 32 minutes, 50 seconds. The previous record had been standing for over 20 years.


But he was not yet finished that afternoon. Two hours later he lined up for a one-mile event at the Queen's Park Oval among a field of competitors who had not attempted the San Fernando to Port of Spain race. He won handsomely. After making it a habit of winning race after race from the best walkers in the country, Asche started giving handicaps. He gave the field a three minute start in a 10,000 metres walk at Arima; another three minute handicap in another 10,000 metres race starting at Woodford Square; a ten minute start in a 25 mile event in the city and through Carenage and back; a 20 minute handicap in a race from La Brea to Port of Spain. He won all these races.


Asche showed his versatility in a three-in-one event around the Queen's Park Savannah, where the competitors began cycling walked the second lap and finished running. He established a record of 3 hours, 54 minutes, 10 seconds for the event. This record still stands today. Following his sensational performances locally, Asche became the West Indies walking champion in an event held at the Queen's Park Savannah. He also holds the record for the one-hour race. A walking machine, indeed, Asche seemed to be in a career that established him as probably the finest walker ever produced in Trinidad and Tobago.

Play Audio
Asgarali, Nyron H.B.M. Cricket 1987

The West Indian cricketer seems to mature at an earlier age than most and Nyron was one of several teenagers to make their first class debuts during the years of goodwill cricket, 1941-47. He played in the first of these games, vs. Barbados at the Queen's Park Oval, had score of 33 and 0 and was one of four players of East Indian ancestry not included in the team for the second game. Up to 1948, when Test cricket resumed in the West Indies after World War II, that was the pattern he had learnt to accept one match in each series for which he was selected. In preparation for the 1948 visit by M.C.C he scored two centuries but was omitted from both Trinidad teams. While the West Indies team was touring India in 1949, a Trinidad side visited Barbados and apart from appearing in both games he got a chance to exhibit his medium paced bowling which hitherto was not used at that level. The turning point in his career came the following year, when, at home to Jamaica for the games serving as trials for selection to tour Great Britain that year, he hit 77 in an opening partnership of 103 with Andy Ganteaume.


When Trinidad visited Barbados in 1951 for two games, this time as trials for the winter tour of Australia and New Zealand he got his chance as an all rounder, hit a highest of 48 during which he shared a second wicket stand of 118 with Jeff Stollmeyer and bowled 19 overs in the second innings of the first game to restrict the homesters in delaying their declaration. A year later, while the West Indies contingent was still on tour, Trinidad entertained a Guyana team and he made 18 and 103, 128 and 83 in the two matches. During his second century he put on 170 with Ken Corbie for the first wicket, a local record v. Guyana. A visit by India in 1953 was next and in his lone innings he scored 47 in an opening partnership of 112 again with Stollmeyer, against the tourists. That year he went to Guyana, was wicket keeper for the second of two matches in which he hit 7 and 141*, 25 and 44 and also registered a native record of 188 unfinished for the fifth wicket with Gerry Gomez. He was invited to the trial game, which followed in preparation for the 1954 M.C.C. visit. Scores of 33 and 65 helped Jeff Stollmeyer to give their team starts of 84 and 110 against M.C.C. but he played in only one in Jamaica the following year, when he scored 20 and 124. He then left for a professional engagement with Enfield in the Lancashire League and so did not play against the visiting Australians.


Two years later he was successful in the trials held at the Queen's Park Oval, with 45 and 8, 106 and 19 to gain a place on the West Indies team to tour Great Britain where he totalled 1011 runs (av. 20.73) with 2 centuries 130* v. Nottinghamshire, Trent Bridge and 120* vs. Kent, Canterbury. His 2nd Test opportunities, the only ones of his career yielded 62 runs (av. 15.05) with a highest of 29 in a West Indies total of 89. On his return he was appointed captain of the national team against the touring Pakistanis and marked the occasion with 131 during which he shared in a fourth wicket partnership of 131 with Ken Furlonge. He captained Trinidad in Guyana against Jamaica in October 1959 and in one game v. M.C.C. in 1960 after which Willie Rodriguez replaced him. On the local cricket scene he was a prolific scorer and virtually carried the batting fortunes of his club. Invincible on his shoulders. In 1948, he scored an undefeated double century against Maple and totalled over 1000 runs in all matches that season. He captained North in the Beaumont Cup fixture 1958 and South the following year, when, as welfare officer for Caroni Estates Ltd., he represented Wanderers. He hit 98, his highest Beaumont Cup score in 1959 and led South until 1962 when he retired at first class level. He played club cricket for five years afterwards and his 31 and 81* were key factors in Wanderers' island wide win in 1965. He was included among the nation's five cricketers of the year in 1959 and 1961.


His best bowling figures in inter-territorial cricket were 3/30 vs. Jamaica at Bourda in 1959, but his 3/69 of a Barbados total of 433 must have given him the most satisfaction at the same venue, three years earlier. Later he served on the South Management committee of the Trinidad Cricket Council and a national selector up to 1972 when his son Gregory, who by then had become a national player, was likely to prejudice his interest. He was manager of the 1983 Trinidad and Tobago Shell Shield teams and served as liaison officer to the visiting Australia, New Zealand and England teams 1984-86.

Bailey, Brandon Weightlifting 1985

The first time Brandon Bailey, an Arima lad, came to Port of Spain to participate in competitive weightlifting, the city boys made fun of him.


It didn't affect him although he was not very successful in the final analysis. But the next year, he had the last laugh and became junior champion among the heavyweights. After that there was no stopping the new local weightlifting champion, who had set his eyes on all the heavyweight records. Bailey turned out to be a remarkable competitor who was the champion of the Central American and Caribbean region, second rated in the Commonwealth and fifth rated in the world.


His records in the Press (391 pounds), Snatch (300) and Clean and Jerk (380) are intact. So is his total of 1,050 pounds for three lifts. He got to the top the hard way, for when he was developing into a lifter of international class between 1957 and 1959, he had to do most of his training by trial and error since technical knowledge of the sport was difficult to come by in Trinidad and Tobago. As a result he sustained a back injury and had pains in his wrists by using unsuitable equipment. But he kept going and in 1962 at the Central American and Caribbean games in Jamaica he won the gold medal in the heavyweight class, establishing a new record in the Press.


Later in the year he won a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in Australia and was one of the big favourites for the gold at the Pan American Games in Brazil the following year. During his lift, however, his right heel sank into the platform and the weights bounced off his left thigh, sending the weights crashing down onto the platform. But the courageous Bailey continued and, despite his early plight, took the silver medal. In 1964 Bailey totalled over 1,000 pounds at the national lifts, the first Caribbean lifter to do so. His career continued with much success and after his retirement he became a physical education teacher who still finds time to coach youth in the art of weightlifting.

Play Audio Play Video
Bailey, Emmanuel Mc Donald C.M.T. Athletics 1985

in the late 1940's and early 1950's the name McDonald Bailey became a household one throughout Britain and Europe. But even before leaving for England in the Royal Air Force (RAF), Mac's achievements as a sprinter were well known not only in Trinidad & Tobago where between 1940 and 1944 he was national sprint champion, but also throughout the Caribbean. In 1942 he and Wilfred Tull (Police half-mile champion) were the first Trinidadians to take part in the Jamaican AAA Championships.


Bailey won the 100 yards (triple dead heat) beating the great Herb McKenley. Bailey's talent as a sprinter emerged as a schoolboy where he dominated the sprints against his peers in inter-school sports. He was sprint champion at Arima Boys Government School, Tranquillity Boys Intermediate and Queen's Royal College. In 1937 he was the first local sprinter to beat J.R.N. Cumberbatch H.B.M. over 220 yards in the then record time of 21.5 seconds. He later went on to take part in the AAA Championships in White City, London where he reached the second round of the 220 yards. On his return to England in 1944 it didn't take long for Bailey to re-establish himself with the British Authorities. He was invited to represent Great Britain against France in 1945, having run second to the then Empire Games sprint champion Cyril Holmes throughout the 1945 season.


In 1946 McDonald Bailey created history by winning both the 100 and 220 yards at the British Open AAA Championships and thereafter (with the exception of 1948 amassing 15 AAA national titles (7 sprint doubles) and one relay between 1946-1953. He held the British All Comers record for the 100 yards (9.6 seconds) as well as European 100 metres record (10.20 between 1946-1953. He is the only Trinidad and Tobago athlete to appear in the Guinness Book of World Records from its inception, for holding the greatest number of national athletic titles by any athlete. Also the only Trinidad sprinter to hold a world record in the100 metres (10.2) which was established in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, 1951 and remained until 1956. McDonald Bailey was invited from England to represent Trinidad & Tobago at the CAC Games in Baranquilla, Colombia in 1946; he was appointed Team Captain. In the 1948 Olympic Games in London, Bailey represented Great Britain (100 metres only) and finished sixth in the 100 metres final.


He further represented Great Britain in the Helsinki Olympics 1952 finishing third (bronze medal) in the dramatic 100 metres final where the first four runners were credited with the same time of 10.4 on a waterlogged cinder track. Bailey was the only sprinter in the games who qualified to run in both the 100 and 200 metres and came fourth in the 200 metres behind Andy Stanfield (20.7), Thane Baker (20.9), Jim Gatherers (20.9); Bailey's time was 21.0 seconds. Bailey ran in four Olympic finals (London 100 metres) Helsinki: 100, 200 and 4 X 100 relay. Track and field statistician Maxwell Stiles in a special assessment of 100 world-class sprinters referred to McDonald Bailey (1960's) as 'one of the greatest sprinters of all time". The Trinidad and Tobago Government recognised Bailey's contribution to sport athletics in 1977 by awarding him the Chaconia Gold Medal. McDonald Bailey is an Associate Member, Institute of Journalists, London and has worked for the BBC (1970) Commonwealth Games, Edinburgh) and Olympic games, Rome 1960.

View MORE Photos

Play Audio
Bailey, Janet Netball 1987

She is tall and her physique is well suited to the position of netball goalkeeper, a position she held for Trinidad and Tobago from 1956-1977 inclusive, while competing at the West Indian Netball Championships. She first played for Belmont Methodist School as a twelve year old and two years later went into club netball when she joined Perseverance. For the last fifteen years of her career she campaigned in the Port of Spain Netball League (POSNL) with Senators, afterwards Carib Senators through sponsorship and her club, many times league and national champions, enjoyed healthy rivalry with the more recently formed Pan Am Marvellites.


In the West Indian Championships Trinidad and Tobago had been winning so many times during her career that it did not matter in which territory they played. Then lost to St.. Vincent in 1955 and were not denied winner's row again until 1973 when they lost in Grenada to St. Kitts. The Caribbean Champions did not contest in 1978, as they were hosts to an England team in preparation for the 1979 Fifth World Netball Tournament. When the World Netball Tournament began in Eastbourne, England, she was a member of the Trinidad and Tobago squad, which placed fourth (1963). In the three subsequent tournaments that she attended 1967 Australia, 1971 Jamaica and 1975 New Zealand her team kept its fourth place on each occasion, the games being dominated by Australia (1963, 1971 and 1975) and New Zealand (1967) with England separating the Caribbean champions.


For her consistency on the team she was rewarded with the captaincy in the 1975 and 1976 West Indian Championships and for the visit to Wembley, England, in 1976, she had the distinction of leading the national team against the hosts. The visitors went on the win that series for the first time. She had played against England who visited Trinidad fourteen years earlier and had to contend with Annette Cairncross, dubbed the 'Girl with the Golden Arm'. After her retirement from international competition she had played in 75 such games and a similar amount in Caribbean encounters. There must have been satisfaction that her replacement was Jennifer Williams, who seems the natural successor and when Trinidad and Tobago became joint World Champions in 1979 she must have taken pride in seeing so many of the youngsters whom she had nurtured, in the team.


Janet made the Police Service her career and played with Police when they fielded a first division team. After stalwarts like Phyllis Pierre and Marjorie John had discontinued playing she was allowed to turn out for Senators. She frequently participated in the annual Mothers v. Daughters games and has the satisfaction of seeing her daughter Jeanne gain national selection.

Barrow, Rawle Yachting 1985

For over 30 years Rawle Barrow has been in competitive sailing and although his best days have passed, he still gets a thrill in the open sea that takes him back to the time when he was undisputedly the finest racing sailor in Trinidad and Tobago.


His career began in 1952 when he represented Trinidad and Tobago at the age of 18, but it was four years before, while a sea scout, that he first got the fell of sailing. Following seven years of inter-territorial competition during which time he and his brother Cordelle, had many moments of success for their country, Rawle was selected to represent the West Indies at the Pan American Games in Chicago in 1959, winning a bronze medal in the Flying Dutchman Class.


He became national champion for the next two years in the same class and in 1962, sailing with great confidence, and skill at the Central American and Caribbean Games in Jamaica, he won the gold medal. Following a fourth place at the Pan American Games in Brazil a year later, Barrow prepared for the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 1964 with great enthusiasm. He did not win a medal then, but gave a fine display nonetheless. He won the great Ocean Race to Grenada in 1965 and defended his title at the Central American and Caribbean Games in Puerto Rico in 1966 with flying colours, again winning the gold medal.


Barrow had another try at the Pan American Games in Winnipeg in 1967 without gaining a top place and then gave up the Flying Dutchman Class after years of success with his type of craft. He continued sailing throughout the Caribbean, but in larger boats. He also served in executive and managerial positions, travelling with national teams to the big games since 1968. Barrow has been a founding member of the Trinidad and Tobago Yachting Association and has been on the Executive Committee for 27 years.

Play Audio
Bart, Carolyn Hockey 2004

The most prolific scorer in women’s hockey for the period 1972-75 with 60 goals, Carolyn Bart has enjoyed a career marked by excellence even from an early stage. After graduating from Port of Spain’s Holy Name Convent, where she was a star athlete, Bart joined one of the top women’s hockey teams of the 1970’s, the Rockets in 1969. Within one year she was selected for the National B Team, and joined the national team in 1971.


A standout inside right forward, she played for T&T in a commendable 2-2 draw with the Netherlands in a friendly at the Queen’s Park Oval. That year the Rockets was named team of the year.By this time she had gained a reputation both for her ability with the stick and her knack for putting the ball in the goal on a regular basis. That year she finished second in the scoring table with 12 goals. The following year, Bart joined the Trinidad and Tobago team that participated in the Caribbean Championship at home and shared the title with Jamaica. Even greater success followed in the 1974 edition in Barbados when Trinidad and Tobago won the title outright.


Bart also participated at the 1975 IFWHA Tournament in S
cotland and the 1976 and 1978 Caribbean Championships, the latter for which she was named the most outstanding forward of the tournament.In 1982 Bart was appointed captain of the T&T team. That year T&T competed in the Caribbean Championships which they hosted. Bart retired from the national team following the Championship, but extended her career with the Rockets until 1986, spending the last four seasons as first division team captain.

Play Audio
Bennet, O.P. (Pen) Horse Racing 1984

Old-stagers still speak today of the excellent horsemanship of Pen Bennett, who has been regarded as the finest jockey ever produced in Trinidad and Tobago. Later in his career, Bennett turned to training, and here also he has left some remarkable records that are difficult to equal.


He was also a steward and starter, breeder and classifier. He has done it all. In addition to Bennett's fine record on the turf, he was also a cricketer who, given more opportunities, may have scaled greater heights than he did.


Bennett was the first schoolboy to play inter-colonial cricket, when at 18 he represented Trinidad in 1907. In that match he had the distinction of opening the batting and bowling for his country. He took 15 wickets for 220 runs in the tournament won by Trinidad and his 4-18 vs. Barbados helped dismiss that team for 50. While still in his teens, Bennett challenged the best in the country in athletics, specialising in the 220 and 440 yards events. He also played football and lawn tennis. But his first love seemed to be horse racing and he made a bold effort to succeed as a jockey. What an effort it proved to be! As his career blossomed, Bennett went on to win every classic race on the calendar.


At the age of 50 he was still riding with remarkable success, moving into the 1940's as the acknowledged champion jockey of the local turf. He decided to retire at the ripe age of 54 in 1943, winning his two last races on the great Creole thoroughbred, Ras Taffare. He had ridden 660 winners in his splendid career. Training horses became Bennett's major concern after that and when he gave up that profession, he had trained 920 winners, being leading trainer 25 times. The name of Pen Bennett will go down in local history as a giant of the turf, a man who rode and trained winners in every classic event, a master in the Sport of Kings.

Play Audio
Berassa, Kelvin Football 2004

Kelvin Berassa was an ever-present element in the Malvern, Regiment and Trinidad and Tobago team of the 1960s. The centre-forward had honed his skills at the Progressive Educational Institute and finished as a Northern League top scorer in 1957, 1958 and 1959.


After graduating from Progressive in 1960, Berassa joined Malvern and carved his niche as an aggressive forward, helping his club to the Best Dark Virginia (BDV) Cup, National FA Trophy (1960 and 1961) and the Solomon Hochoy Cup. In 1965 he joined the already dominant Regiment team. Regiment copped both the 1965 and 1966 Championship Shields of the Port of Spain Football League (POSFL) and the 1967 BDV Cup. The team also copped the 1966 and 1967 National FA Trophy (1966 and 1967) winners’ medals. In 1968, Berassa was a powerful weapon in the Regiment’s 1968 CONCACAF Champion of Champions club championship campaign.Berassa’s international football career with Trinidad and Tobago was equally impressive during this period.


At the 1967 Pan American Games in Winnipeg, he scored the lone goal in the shock victory over Argentina and was also on target in a 5-2 victory over Colombia, in which Trinidad and Tobago rebounded from being 2-0 down. A 1-1 tie with Mexico was another noteworthy result but the team was subsequently surprised 3-1 by Bermuda in the semifinals. However, Berassa would score again as Trinidad and Tobago whipped Canada 3-0 for the bronze medal. He also played for his country during the qualifying competition for the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. Berassa moved to New York City where he spent two seasons with the Brooklyn Juniors before retiring in 1970.

Play Audio
Bernard, Kent Athletics 1987

He has been living in Michigan, USA, for the past twenty-five years, after accepting an athletic scholarship to attend the state's University in Ann Arbor. His athletic career began at Belmont Intermediate R.C. (now Belmont Secondary) school where he was Victor Ludorum in his final two years, 1959 and 1960, before leaving to join Burnley Athletic Club. Up to that point he only participated in sprint races. Representing his club as a junior at both Northern and Southern games, he started competing at the shorter distances, but decided to try the 400 metres and was successful to the point where he equalled the local record.


At the University of Michigan he concentrated on the one lap event and his performances in inter-varsity games impressed the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Association selectors into inviting him to the 1964 Olympics.


For those games in Tokyo he received a bronze medal in the 4 X 400 metres relay, collecting the baton from Edwin Skinner, handing it over to Edwin Roberts, for Wendell Mottley to perform the finishing touches. His university studies prevented him from any Caribbean activity and his college performances were the guidelines used by the T. & T.O.A., which selected him to represent the country of his birth at the Commonwealth Games in Kingston, Jamaica, 1966. By placing second to Wendell Mottley in the 440 yards flat, he put Trinidad and Tobago among the early favourites to take the one-mile relay, particularly as the versatile Edwin Roberts had gained a silver medal in the 220 yards. With Lennox Yearwood completing the team, the quartet not only took the gold medal, but proceeded to establish the world record in the process.


He could not be spared for international competition over the four succeeding years and so missed, in turn, the 1967 Pan Am Games in Winnipeg and the 1968 Olympics, held in Mexico City. But he kept on competing when time permitted and secured a place on the team, which represented Trinidad and Tobago at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh, Scotland. At his pet distance he emerged fifth despite an impressive time of 46.06 and he gained another silver medal in the 4 X 400 metres relay. At the 1971 CAC Games in Cali, Colombia, he was again fifth in the 400 metres and he was a bronze medal recipient in the accustomed relay. That turned out to be his last international prize in a career that was all too short due to college commitment. But he did not stop appearing on tracks yet.


He returned to Trinidad in 1972 in an attempt to qualify for the Munich Olympics that year. At a meeting held on St. Mary's College Grounds, Serpentine Road, he entered the 400 metres, was second in a slow time and he failed to catch the selectors' eyes. That brought down the lid on his athletic career.

Bertrand, Cliff Athletics 2008

Because at least a third of his track career at the top-level occurred during the short-lived existence of the West Indies Federation, it came as no surprise that Cliff Bertrand spent much of his time representing the West Indies in international competition.


After appearing at the Commonwealth Games in Cardiff, the New York University star helped his regional team to the bronze medal in the men's 4x100 metres relay at the 1959 Pan American Games in Chicago, before representing the West Indies' only Olympic Games contingent in Rome, the following year. Bertrand also claimed a haul of seven medals at West Indies Championships, including three golds at the 1958 event in Port of Spain: Bertrand claimed victories in the 200 metres (equalling the meet record of 2l.2 seconds in the process), 400 metres (with a games record 47.3 seconds) and the 4x400 metres relay.


He enjoyed the proudest moment of his career at the Milrose Indoor Games at Madison Square Garden in 1961. Along with teammates, Ken Hendler, Steve Damashek and Jim Wedderburn, Bertrand helped break the 4x400 yards indoor world record by establishing a new time of three minutes 16.9 seconds in the process.


In 1963 Bertrand had the pleasure of representing Trinidad and Tobago at the Pan Am Games in Sao Paulo, where he took home a pair bronze medals after experiencing third place finishes in both the 400 metres and 4x100 metres relay. He also ran in the Trinidad and Tobago vest at the1964 Olympics in Tokyo and the 1966 Commonwealth Games in Kingston, Jamaica. At the 1965 Southern Games in Pointe-a-Pierre, Bertrand was awarded the Pan American Trophy after defeating Americans Mel Pender and Charlie Mays in the 200 metres event - his time of 20.7 seconds was the world's best for the distance at that point in the season.


After ending his active track career, Bertrand turned to coaching within the New York City-area: he was in charge at both Jamaica High School in Queens and Martin Luther King Junior High, later became a health and physical education teacher at John F. Kennedy High and served as NYU's head coach.


Back at home, Bertrand had founded the Arimabased Abilene Wildcats Track Club back in 1963. It's a unit that has produced 20 international representatives for Trinidad and Tobago to date, induding 14 Olympians. Among this latter group there's Laura Pierre (the first female to represent Trinidad and Tobago at the Olympic Games) Charlie Joseph, Ainsley Armstrong, Michael Paul, Neil De Silva (a finalist in the 4x400 metres event in 1992) and Julieon Raeburn - men and women who have followed in the strides of Cliff Bertrand.


Play Audio
Bishop, Ian Cricket 2004

An outstanding talent on the international cricketing landscape, Ian Bishop’s 161 wickets in 43 tests at an average of 24.27 runs per wicket were an apt reflection of a fine paceman. The best moments came at Perth in January 1993 when his six wickets for 40 runs contributed to the West Indies’ series-clinching innings and his 25 runs at Brisbane reduced Pakistan to just 71 runs in the Benson & Hedges Trophy series.


With a straight-on run in and the ability to generate acute movement away from the bat, Bishop was part of the early 1990’s quartet of established fast bowlers in the West Indies team – the others being Antiguan Curtly Ambrose and Jamaicans Courtney Walsh and Patrick Patterson. Fifty wickets were claimed in his first eleven test matches. Number 100 came in his 21st test when he bowled England’s Robin Smith at Edgbaston, Birmingham. He took four for 29 in that innings en route to scuttling the opposition for a lowest-ever ground total of 89 and facilitating a West Indian victory by an innings and 64 runs.


Bishop was also rather useful with the bat as his 111 for Trinidad and Tobago against Barbados in 1997 attests. Unfortunately much of Bishop’s career, which also included spells at Crompton, Preysal and Derbyshire, was hampered by chronic back problems, which included a diagnosed stress fracture in 1991. These injuries frequently kept him out of the game for long periods. Since his last game for the West Indies against England in 1998 Bishop has served as a Trinidad and Tobago team manager and is currently a television and radio commentator.

View MORE Photos

Play Audio
Blackman, Carl Basketball 2000

When your father happens to be the legendary Rolly Blackman, you need to excel in one of the sporting disciplines for be fed on a steady diet of criticism. Carl first appeared on the cricket and football fields. In the former he played with his father's Sunday Morning team, while in the latter he joined his brother Desmond in the Providence F.C. lineup.


He found his niche in neither of these popular sports but in basketball, which was then growing in popularity and which, suited his eventual 6ft. 6in. frame. In 1955 he joined Pirates who were campaigning in the North Intermediate Division. The following year Pirates won both the League and K.O. Championships and Carl was named Player of the Year. He was nominated for Sportsman of the Year in 1956 and ended in ninth place in a list headed by cyclist Hilton Mitchell.


In 1957 he joined Progressive who became triple-crown winners of the League, K.O. Championships and Kay Shirt Trophy. That year was a buy one for basketballers, as they were hosts to a Surinam team, the left for a tour of Martinique where they played two exhibition matches against the visiting Harlem Globetrotters. Carl, playing as starting pivot, had his fair share of exchanges.


1958 was another busy year for national basketballers. There were hosts to Martinique and British Guiana (now Guyana) and visited Caracas (CAC Games) and Surinam. Carl was a member of each of those teams. Up to 1963 when he left to pursue his studies at New York Institute of Technology he represented Woodbrook Limers, who won the Trinidad Five-a-Side Tournament consecutively form 1959.


His final national accomplishment was representation at the 1962 CAC Games in Jamaica where the team reached the play-offs. Carl now resides in Miami.

Blackman, Ingrid C.M.T. Netball 2004

Eleven countries participated in the first World Netball Championship was held at Chelsea College, Eastborne, England in 1963. Trinidad and Tobago was pitted against some of the best players in the world from countries such asAustralia, England, Jamaica, Scotland, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and New Zealand.Despite placing fourth in this inaugural Championship Games, the Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) team stood out because of its aerial style of play and created significant excitement amongst the crowd.The President and Secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Netball Association were thrilled with the team’s performance.


Two years later, in 1965, T&T applied to the World Body, International Federation of Netball Associations (IFNA) to host the 5th World Netball Championship scheduled for 1979.T&T won the bid and the planning began for this massive activity with twin goals – to stage the first World Netball Championships in the West Indies and went on to become World Champions. At the end of the 1975 tournament, the team placed 4th and many thought it impossible for such a team to dominate the World Championship. One year later, the entire 1975 team and a few extras were invited to begin an intense training programme.



26 After three years of grueling training, the following persons were selected to the National Team:Sherril Peters (captain)Althea Luces (GK)Jennifer Williams (GK)Jean Pierre (GS)Peggy Castanada (GA)Cyrenia Charles (GS)Ingrid Blackman (GA)Angela Burke Browne (WA)Veryl A Kretschmar (WD)Heather Charleau (GD)Marcia Simsoy Frank (C)Jennifer Nurse (C) Led by captain Sherril Peters, the entire team signaled their intention to be championship leaders from their first appearance centre court and provided opponents and spectators alike with nail biting moments. The T&T/Australia Game was the thriller. The Aussie’s strategy was to concentrate their two defences on the experienced and talented shooter Jean Pierre while ignoring the unknown Cyrenia Charles.


This proved fatal and Cyrenia registered her first goal with a magnificent shot from the edge of the circle. Despite the attempt to obstruct Jean Pierre, she ended the tournament with the Top Shooter Title. The final score (Aus vs T&T) 40-38 in favour of T&T. The final game NZ vs T&T ended in a 32-27 score in favour of New Zealand resulting in a three-way victory – Trinidad and Tobago, New Zealand and Australia.The entire team received a National Award – the Chaconia Medal for outstanding performance and Jean Pierre was recalled for a second award – The Trinity Cross. To this day, they remain the only T&T team to have ever won a world title.

Boldon, Ato Athletics 2008

It was a sweltering summer in Athens, Greece - the cradle of both the ancient and modern Olympic Games - a fitting site for Ato Boldon's greatest achievement.


Almost five years before, the Santa Cruz native won both the 100 metres and 200 metres sprints at the 1992 IMF World Junior Championships in Seoul, South Korea and had gone on to earn the 100 metres bronze medal at the '95 IMF senior world championships in Gothenburg, Sweden, along with 100 and 200 metres bronze at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.


But this was the moment that eclipsed them all. A sizzling, hot August 8, 1997. It was the world championships 200 metres final featuring Boldon, Namibian ace Frank Fredericks and American Jon Drummond. Within the broiling cauldron that was the Athens Olympic Stadium, Boldon stormed around the bend into the lead and cut his way through the scalding to hold off Fredericks and the Brazil's Claudinei Da Silva, to capture the global title in 20.04 seconds. It was the unsurpassed moment in a career that continued to be graced by great achievements.


The following year, Boldon captured the 100 metres gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur and later earned a 100 m silver medal at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, to go along with a second, consecutive Olympic bronze in the 200 metres. Boldon's last major honours were his 100 metres bronze and 4x100 metres relay silver medals from the 2001 World Championships in Edmonton, credits that came in 2005, with the official drug-use disqualification of Tim Montgomery, a silver medallist in the 100 and a winner with the USA in the 4x100 metres relay.


By the time he retired, following the 2004 Olympic Games, Boldon had an honours collection that included four Olympic medals (one silver, three bronze) and four pieces of precious metal earned over five IMF World Championship appearances. On three occasions he recorded a personal best of 9.86 seconds in the 100 metres and clocked 19.77 seconds in the 200 metres in July 1997.


Boldon, who won the NCM Championship 100 metres title while at UCLA in 1996, did not take up athletics until the age of 14, after moving from Santa Cruz to Queen's, New York in 1988. His subsequent achievements truly add a remarkable touch to this fact. Apart from being television broadcaster with both CBS and NBC, Boldon served in the Trinidad and Tobago senate from February 2006 until April 2007.

View MORE photos

Play Audio
Browne, Enid Netball 1987

An outstanding player either at wing defence or wing attack, she started netball at Providence Intermediate School whose team she captained in her final year before she left in 1958, by which time she was already a national player. Her first netball club was Perseverance. She played with them for three years and in 1962 became a founder member of Senators. That year too saw a visit by an England team, which outplayed the local netballers in each game but left them some standards to which they were to aspire.


When she left with the Trinidad and Tobago team for Eastbourne, England and the First World Netball Tournament in 1963, she played under the captaincy of Phyllis Pierre-Walker. But after the team that emerged fourth returned, Phyllis retired and for the West Indian Championships 1964, Enid became captain. She held the captaincy for 10 seasons during which, at Caribbean level, her team lost one game v. St. Kitts, Grenada, 1973. That was sufficient for the erstwhile championships to be dethroned and it marked the end of her participation in the West Indian Championships. Only the year before, when the tournament was staged in St. Kitts, the calypso girls had set a record in defeating Nevis 117-0. The captaincy was then handed over to Eugenia (more popularly known as Jean) Pierre.


Meanwhile her club, Carib Sentors, was enjoying unparalleled success in the Port of Spain Netball League (POSNL), winning the championships on three consecutive occasions twice 1965, 1966 1967 and 1971, 1972, 1973. Between those two streaks she led the national team to the Second and Third World Tournaments in Perth, Australia and Kingston, Jamaica, respectively. After she gave up the captaincy, she became an official and visited Canada, New Zealand, the Bahamas and Barbados, then found time to take part in the Fourth World Tournament in Auckland, New Zealand, 1975. She served as an official until 1977 when she went on an athletic scholarship. On her return her expertise was sought for T.V. coverage of the Fifth World Tournament.


Now a Physical Education teacher at St. Augustine Senior Comprehensive School, she has been responsible for producing the Secondary School Netball Champions in four of the last five years.

View MORE Photos

Burke Brown, Angela C.M.T. Netball 2004

Eleven countries participated in the first World Netball Championship was held at Chelsea College, Eastborne, England in 1963. Trinidad and Tobago was pitted against some of the best players in the world from countries such asAustralia, England, Jamaica, Scotland, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and New Zealand.Despite placing fourth in this inaugural Championship Games, the Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) team stood out because of its aerial style of play and created significant excitement amongst the crowd.The President and Secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Netball Association were thrilled with the team’s performance.


Two years later, in 1965, T&T applied to the World Body, International Federation of Netball Associations (IFNA) to host the 5th World Netball Championship scheduled for 1979.T&T won the bid and the planning began for this massive activity with twin goals – to stage the first World Netball Championships in the West Indies and went on to become World Champions. At the end of the 1975 tournament, the team placed 4th and many thought it impossible for such a team to dominate the World Championship. One year later, the entire 1975 team and a few extras were invited to begin an intense training programme.



26 After three years of grueling training, the following persons were selected to the National Team:Sherril Peters (captain)Althea Luces (GK)Jennifer Williams (GK)Jean Pierre (GS)Peggy Castanada (GA)Cyrenia Charles (GS)Ingrid Blackman (GA)Angela Burke Browne (WA)Veryl A Kretschmar (WD)Heather Charleau (GD)Marcia Simsoy Frank (C)Jennifer Nurse (C) Led by captain Sherril Peters, the entire team signaled their intention to be championship leaders from their first appearance centre court and provided opponents and spectators alike with nail biting moments. The T&T/Australia Game was the thriller. The Aussie’s strategy was to concentrate their two defences on the experienced and talented shooter Jean Pierre while ignoring the unknown Cyrenia Charles.


This proved fatal and Cyrenia registered her first goal with a magnificent shot from the edge of the circle. Despite the attempt to obstruct Jean Pierre, she ended the tournament with the Top Shooter Title. The final score (Aus vs T&T) 40-38 in favour of T&T. The final game NZ vs T&T ended in a 32-27 score in favour of New Zealand resulting in a three-way victory – Trinidad and Tobago, New Zealand and Australia.The entire team received a National Award – the Chaconia Medal for outstanding performance and Jean Pierre was recalled for a second award – The Trinity Cross. To this day, they remain the only T&T team to have ever won a world title.

Showing 1 - 25 of 190 Page:   <<| 1 2 3 |>>  

Links Site Map Legal Developed by WebNET
Copyright First Citizens Sports Foundation